- High Fructose Corn Syrup is in everything, yet many companies would have you think that it's no more bad for you than cane sugar. Google it and you'll find plenty of reports and studies showing that isn't true. Most recently, I recall reading a report that HFCS was found to feed cancer cells. Read them labels!
- Dark chocolate has more antioxidants, and less fat and sugar than its yummy counterpart milk chocolate. It also has more phytosterols and vitamins, not bad for a candy!
- Trans Fats are in a lot of fast-food burgers, if you ask a nutritionist what the RDA of trans-fats are they should say 0. Not all fats make you fat, but trans-fatty acids can clog your arteries and cause heart disease.
On to the books I've mentioned, there are a few that I recommend regularly. I'll list these books here, check out Border's or Amazon for good prices on them. I'm also going to include books that may be on the line of being both nutritional and fitness.
- Master Your Metabolism- Jillian Michaels: She's awesome, very inspiring. Both books are a must-own. The cookbook has a ton of fun recipes that are delicious and good for you.
- Eat This, Not That!- David Zinczenko: They hire some smart people over at Men's/Women's Health! This whole series of books is worth owning, everything from fast-food to what kids should/shouldn't eat. They even have one based on bad beverages, so you can have that iced latte and save yourself some calories while you do it.
- The Abs Diet- David Zinczenko: Yet again, another well written gem from the man behind Men's/Women's Health. Very easy to follow meals and workouts, there's even a women's version.